Burnaby School District is once again hosting a float in this year’s Vancouver Pride Parade. This year we are joining forces with Vancouver School Board and students, parents and staff are invited to participate on Sunday, August 6, 2017 as we walk together and celebrate our diversity. Please complete the following registration form to receive more information.
We will be decorating the Pride Parade float on Friday, Aug 4th, from 10 till noon at Burnaby South Secondary. There will be lunch at 11:30. Please join us! Be sure to bring water, sunscreen, and a hat.
PARADE DAY INSTRUCTIONS
We are in Staging Area DN5, which is the North side of the street, Position 5. It is on Alberni St. between Thurlow St. and Burrard St and it opens at 10:30am. The float will be there by 11:30am and marchers MUST be in the staging area by noon. It is highly recommended that you arrive earlier than required to deal with any unforeseen issues in finding our space in the staging area. Road closures will start along the parade route at 7:30am.
The first floats leave the staging area at noon. Once we are on the parade route, it will take about 50 minutes to reach the dispersal area. The parade moves along Robson St. to Denman, then down Denman to Beach, along Beach and Pacific, finishing at Jervis St.
Some important safety information
- Absolutely nothing is to be thrown into the crowd. You may walk along the sides of the parade route handing items directly to the public.
- No stopping or slowing down along the Parade route. If you need to stop or slow down, please stand to the side and let the entries behind pass. You may then try to catch up once you are ready. This includes taking photos, talking with MCs and spectators, and adjusting costumes.
- Persons riding on the float must remain on it for the entire route & NO ONE ELSE MAY BOARD ONCE THE PARADE IS UNDERWAY.
- Marchers accompanying floats through the Dispersal Area must exit the fenced in area at Thurlow Street. Please make sure you have your belongings with you (not on the float) as the vehicle dispersal area is different than the marchers dispersal area.
- Please listen to Parade personnel at all times and follow their directions.
- There are always people on the route who like to spray water – the instructions this year are for them to wait for a “thumbs up” signal from marchers before soaking. Hopefully, this will cut down on people getting wet who would rather not get wet!
Be sure to bring:
- Ziploc for phones and other electronics (just in case…)
If you are approached by media, please direct them to Trustee Gary Wong, our parade spokesperson.