WHAT DOES A BAKING & PASTRY ARTIST DO?
- Bakers prepare doughs, batters and other ingredients and produce items such as bread, buns, cakes, pies, cookies and other baked goods.
- They are employed in a variety of food establishments but the vast majority of work takes place in retail settings such as supermarkets, specialty bakeries, restaurants and hotels.
WHAT DO I NEED TO START?
- must be in grade 11 or 12
- Good employability and teamwork skills
- Strong interest in entering the industry
- Good hand-eye coordination and artistic skills
- Foodsafe Level 1
- Entering grade 11 or 12
- Grade 10 English, Math & Science
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- 28 graduation credits
- Post secondary Level 1 Apprenticeship Certification
- VCC Baking Foundations Certificate & VCC
- 24 graduation credits
- Connections with industry employers
- Opportunity to start apprenticeship training while in secondary school
- Scholarship opportunities
WHEN AND WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
- October – June (9 months)
- August – January ( 6 months)
- Monday to Thursday 1 – 7:30 pm – VCC Downtown Campus
HOW DO I REGISTER?
- Participate in a 4 day trial practicum at VCC
- If selected by VCC, submit an application
- Attend an evening information session at VCC
- Participate in a program interview